2nd Manassas - Aug. 1862
The Battle of 2nd Manassas - Saturday, August 30, 1862
Swept from Chinn Ridge

Chinn house
Where there had been a merciless summer sun, a chill winters wind now sweeps over the remains of the Chinn House and the fields over which CSA Brigadier General John Bell Hood's men blew through the smaller Federal forces. Despite valiant Union efforts to slow the Confederate onslaught, the Southern soldiers, many of them Texans under General Hood, relentlessly poured through these fields along Chinn Ridge towards Henry House Hill and the intersection it oversaw. Success here could allow near complete control of the field and thus the battle. Winning the hill meant the possible destruction of a Union Army that no longer would have use of the areas primary roads to maneuver.

General Longstreet would describe the success of his overwhelming flank attack and the numbers he brought against his Union foes. "My whole line was rushed forward at charge. The troops sprang to their work, and moved forward with all the steadiness and firmness that characterizes war-worn veterans. The batteries, continuing their play upon the confused masses, completed the rout of this portion of the enemy's line, and my attack was therefore made against the forces in my front. The order for the advance had scarcely been given when I received a message from the commanding general anticipating some such emergency, and ordering the move which was then going on, at the same time offering me Major-General Anderson's division. The commanding general soon joined me, and a few moments after Major-General Anderson arrived with his division. The attack was led by Hood's brigades, closely supported by Evans. These were rapidly re-enforced by Anderson's division from the rear, Kemper's three brigades and D. R. Jones' division from the right, and Wilcox's brigade from the left. The brigades of Brigadier-Generals Featherston and Pryor became detached and operated with a portion of General Jackson's command. The attacking columns moved steadily forward, driving the enemy from his different positions as rapidly as he took them. My batteries were thrown forward from point to point, following the movements of the general line. These, however, were somewhat detained by an enfilade fire from a battery on my left. This threw more than its proper share of fighting upon the infantry, retarded our rapid progress, and enabled the enemy to escape with many of his batteries which should have fallen into our hands. The battle continued until 10 o'clock at night, when utter darkness put a stop to our progress." [5]